If your house was built before 1990s, there is a high probability of having asbestos in your home. Most construction companies used to add the silica compound into building materials such as vinyl tile, cement boards, wallboards, pipe wrapping, tape or insulating blankets and resilient tiles. Due to its fire resistance qualities, asbestos was regarded as a game changer in the construction industry.
However, scientific research carried out by W.H.O (World Health Organization) identified the asbestos material as the main cause of Mesothelioma, the type of cancer that affects the lungs. The material is made up of tiny pieces of fiber. When asbestos gets worn out, these fibers can easily be inhaled through the nose and end up clogging your lungs. In fact, the material has been banned in Australia and the United States. Below are some tips that can help you cope with asbestos in your home.
- Inspect the Condition of Asbestos
Asbestos is only hazardous when it’s not intact. You should therefore just observe it to find out whether it’s worn out or not. If it’s still in good condition, it’s recommended that you leave it just the way it is. In such a case, you have the option of sealing the material with a thick layer of paint or any other sealant. Besides that, you should inspect asbestos finishes on a regular basis.
You should never attempt to remove them on your own. The law requires every homeowner in Sydney to obtain a license before removing asbestos. If the asbestos is damaged severely, you should consider contacting an asbestos removal company because they are licensed by the government and have state-of-the-art equipment for eliminating the material once and for all.
- Go for Health Screening
If the asbestos in your home is damaged, there are chances that you might have inhaled it in one way or another. You should not wait until your body starts showing signs of Mesothelioma. This is because early detection of the disease can help in managing it effectively.
As a matter of fact, the build-up of fibers in the lungs doesn’t happen in an overnight. It’s therefore recommended you seek medical attention from the nearest health facility. The good thing is that insurance companies are always ready to cover illnesses caused by asbestos.
- Don’t Remodel Your House
You should never attempt to renovate your home when it has asbestos. This is because you might have to use some power tools such as drills, sanders and vacuum cleaners that will cause the dust to rise. Once the dust containing asbestos is emitted into the air, there is no guarantee that you will not inhale it even if you wear protective gear. You should, therefore, wait until the asbestos has been removed completely.
- Relocate to a Safer House
If the asbestos in your home is in a sorry state, you should consider moving to another house. This is because the asbestos can’t be removed when you are still occupying the house. You should make arrangements to rent a house temporarily or move in with a friend. It’s also recommended that you wash all your clothes before moving out to ensure that you don’t carry any traces of the fibers to the new location.
- Put a Sign Outside of the House
Once you are ready to vacate the house, you should put a clear sign outside that is marked ASBESTOS. This will go along way in warning your neighbors so they can take the necessary safety precaution measures. The sign should be at the front of the house where it can be seen by anyone that cares to peep or walk into your compound.