It’s week 11 of Pixar Fest which means we are celebrating the 11th Disney Pixar film to be released in 2010, Toy Story 3. Disney Pixar Toy Story 3 introduced us to Lots-O’-Huggin’ Bear so it was only fitting that Disneyland provided a special treat in his honor. To enjoy this family-favorite film from home, we created a Copycat Strawberry Churro recipe with a twist. Our Gluten-Free Strawberry Churro recipe may taste different than the ones you can find at Disneyland but we promise you will enjoy them.
Before we jump into our recipe, check out how you can celebrate your favorite Toy Story characters at Pixar Fest this summer.
Toy Story Inspired Food at Pixar Fest
These Toy Story Lots-o’ strawberry churros can be found at Tomorrowland in Disneyland. The strawberry sugar looks pretty, I wonder if it tastes as good?! Have you seen all the flavored and Pixar inspired churros available during Pixar Fest? There are several, including a chocolate churro!
These Lots-o’ strawberry churros inspired us to make our own copycat recipe from home. If you are unable to make it to Pixar Fest this summer, try your hand at these yummy churros using our recipe below.
These green alien macaroons inspired us to make green alien chocolate covered popcorn for movie night to celebrate Toy Story 2. Did you see that recipe? Tell us if you tried it! The macaroons look almost too good to eat, they are adorable! I wonder if the purple icing or green outer layer changes the color of your lips and tongue?!
Toy Story Fun at Pixar Fest
“YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME” – TOY STORY FLOAT
If you are at Pixar Fest, you cannot miss the Paint the Night Parade. It literally lights up the night with all the beautiful neon colors. Slinky Dog scampers along, with Woody and Buzz Lightyear holding on for the ride. Check out those spinning disks that make up slinky! They rotate at 120 RPM and are programmed with custom video content.
This float is 32 feet long, so you cannot miss it along the parade route.
Capture photos of your favorite Toy Story characters cut from plants at Downtown Disney in California!
Downtown Disney District during Pixar Fest, which runs through Sept. 3, 2018, will see how a few favorite Pixar stories have been creatively weaved into the area’s horticulture. More than 15 characters from three Pixar films take shape in six different planters in fun new ways. Guests take in the creative arrangements inspired by Toy Story.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Churro Recipe
I have loved churros for a lifetime. My son never goes to a theme park or a festival without getting a churro. After limiting gluten a few years back, I haven’t been able to have a churro! Until now…
You can make regular brown sugar and cinnamon churros by altering this recipe slightly to remove the strawberry twist. The added strawberry flavor was inspired by Pixar Fest and perfect for a summer treat. You can even get creative and try different flavors.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 7 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 quarts oil, for frying
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 oz dehydrated strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- Whisk the flour in a large mixing bowl with baking powder, salt, and 1 ½ tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk and butter to a gentle boil. As soon as the mixture boils, remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into large mixing bowl with flour. Stir until combined.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one until incorporated. The dough should be thick and sticky with air pockets but not so thick that it cannot be piped through the bag.
- If it is too thick, add more milk, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Cover a wire rack or tray with paper towels.
- In a pie dish, add the dehydrated strawberries and the sugar. Using the bottom of a glass, crush the strawberries into a powder.
- Fit a 1M star tip to a piping bag or a large plastic bag and cut the corner out to fit the tip. Fill the bag with the dough, then pipe 6-inch strips directly into the pan, cutting off each dough strip with scissors or a knife.
- Fry 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove the churros with a slotted spoon and transfer to the paper towel covered rack.
- Continue to fry the remaining churro dough, and gently toss them with the strawberry sugar mixture.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Pin for Later: