Cleaning out your gutters is a task that can be dirty, stinky, and unenjoyable as it is quite messy if you wait too long. The best course of action is to clean your gutters often so that you do not have to deal with the dreaded stench of rotting leaves or the overwhelming amount of leaves that are clogging up your gutter. This article will provide some tips to help you clean out leaves from your gutters on a more regular basis. Doing so more often will take less time than if you wait until they are stuffed to the brim with leaves and debris. The task of gutter cleaning isn’t hard; it just needs attention every few months to remain manageable.
- Wear proper clothes. Wearing proper clothes can make all the difference when performing a job such as cleaning out your gutters. It is best to put on a long sleeved shirt and pants as well as wear a sturdy pair of gloves. Rubber gloves work the best as they are easiest to clean after the job is done. In addition to wearing clothes and gloves, it is a good idea to wear some type of face mask as the debris will likely smell bad.
- Have a good, dependable ladder. You will not be able to complete the task without a decent ladder than is durable and can handle your weight for a period of time. You will need to stand on the ladder as you clean out the debris and you will want to make sure that it is in good shape so as to not become faulty and cause you or your home harm.
- Acquire proper supplies to do the job. Once you have the proper clothes and you have secured a reliable ladder, you will then need to acquire other supplies for the task. Other items you will need include a tarp, and a scoop to remove the debris from the gutters. Most hardware stores sell small scoops or you could use an old shovel from your child’s box of sand toys.
- Use a tarp. Instead of dropping the debris onto your well-manicured lawn, be sure to lay a tarp down so that you can easily drop the debris on to it. A tarp is easy to move around the perimeter of your home so you will not have to go back and pick up small piles of trash afterward. A tarp makes it easy to dispose of all the debris at one time by accumulating all of it onto a single tarp.
- Clean. After you have cleaned out the gutters and they are free of debris and leaves, you will then want to flush it with water to make sure that everything is flowing properly.
Cleaning your gutters is not a time-consuming job. It just takes patience and the gumption to get it done. Once you have cleaned out your gutters for the season, you will be happy that you accomplished the task and that you can then move on to your next home project.